Thursday 17 May 2007

A Frenzy of Recycling

As I'm not in the mood for sewing at the moment (as discussed in my previous post) I am instead rediscovering the pleasures of cutting and pasting. I am forever picking up odd vintage books and other ephemera in charity shops, with vague plans to turn them into "something" "sometime". This week I've been delving into my charity shop finds, attacking them with scissors and turning them into recycled stationery.

An old guide to British Wild Flowers is in the process of transforming into 100 pretty envelopes:
And "Dean's New Leisure Book for Girls" (published in about 1968) has become a big pile of lovely ivory notecards:I've really been enjoying making these, reading the stories and picking the best bits to feature on the cards. Great girls adventure stories, ranging from boarding school dramas to escapades in revolutionary "Parazuela", haha.
There were so many great lines that I've not only added text on the front to match the awesome illustrations, but also stuck a line or two on the back of each card:
Reminds me of all the stuff I grew up reading - Famous Five novels and Twinkle annuals. Marvellous stuff.

3 comments:

maia (glassbeach) said...

Oooh, I'm excited to see the floral envelopes! I'm sure they'll be gorgeous!

ps I found your blog on my first trip around the v2 Etsy Blog Ring!

Cassia Beck said...

I love your note cards! I have a few annuals from around the 1950's the illustrations are great!
I'm blog-tagging you. For more info on what this means, and to play along visit my blog and read the most recent post.
x

Sandra Eileen said...

What a great idea, they are very nice.

http://artisan-jewelry.blogspot.com/