Tuesday 11 January 2011

Postal Hiccups and a Wonderful Parcel

The Christmas post this year has been just awful.

Lots of my customers are still waiting on parcels, and I've heard from many of my fellow online-sellers that they're in the same boat. Packages to the USA seem to have been particularly affected (apparently there's been a big increase in security at customs?) but the bad weather we had here in the UK in the run up to Christmas seems to have caused delays all over the place.

I have my fingers very tightly crossed everything will arrive at its destination... and that this won't happen again next year :(

I've also experienced my own postal hiccup recently as a package I ordered from the lovely Lisa at lil fish studios got lost for 3 weeks in my local delivery office. I paid the customs charge on it, and then it just vanished! I knew it existed but no-one seemed able to find it...

Luckily they found it eventually, and the postie delivered it yesterday (hurrah!). There's nothing quite like thinking a parcel has been lost forever to make you giddy with excitement to actually be opening it!

And it was well worth the wait - just look at these gorgeous sewing-pattern-wrapped bundles...


... and the woollen goodness within!


I've been a fan of Lisa's work for years and I thought it was high time I bought some of her ornaments for my Christmas tree! I'm very glad I did. These lovelies will be taking pride of place and may have to be displayed somewhere in the meantime as I don't think I can bear packing them away for another 11 months.

10 comments:

dropstitch said...

Aw, what a shame they arrived too late for the tree. They're lovely. If you could bring yourself to pack them away immediately, just think how exciting it would be to discover them in December - like a little Christmas miracle.

Jo said...

Love the parcelling in pattern-paper idea, what an ingenious seller!

I've had quite a few things go missing this festive period, and am still waiting for a few bigger orders I've sent to arrive. Keeping fingers crossed that they get there eventually, as they're vintage and can't just be replaced.

Despina said...

I used to love the pair of felt geek glasses you made some time ago. But now it's not funny any more: nerd glasses are a hot trend. Maybe you start a new circle of antifashion zines, just saying...

Ditsy Bird Designs said...

those toadstools are soemthing else - fabulous!

Stripes and Stars said...

Ive just refunded another one of my US customers, parcel has never turned up - its just the hassle of trying to get the money back of Royal Mail, which in my experience can take weeks - they dont rush.

Tumus said...

Lisa always wraps her stuff with good care :) And her Pears are some of my favorites! I bought some tea towels from Skinny LaMinx about mid-December and I'm not sure when they'll get here but hoping by February at the latest.
Customs got increased her in the US because of all those postal bombs getting sent thru UPS and such :( I'm sure a package coming from South Africa will surely be opened...so long as it gets here I don't mind.

Anonymous said...

argh! the postal service has been a complete nightmare this year. Did you see this from royal mail http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400033&mediaId=3800088&campaignid=internationalupdates_redirect#1600085

Glad you received that beautiful package in the end x

Watkins35 said...

pleased your parcel finally turned up, it looks lovely. I still can't believe that the country comes to a complete standstill when we have a little bad weather - nothing like the weather we used to get and yet...

I work for an exam board & so many exam packs were held up, exams had to be postphoned, cancelled etc, it's been a mess & we still have some exam packs missing! x

Laura said...

Great that the parcel arrived! Parcels from Lisa are so lovely, I've had the joy of two and they are such a joy to open.

Cate said...

Oh gosh those beautiful things would be great decorations all year 'round! especially autumn :-)
so pretty
xxxCate